You are probably aware that yoga is good for your health. Perhaps you’ve even tried it for yourself and discovered that it makes you feel better. Yoga offers many mental and physical health benefits, including improved flexibility, mental clarity, stress reduction, and more. These are the top 8 benefits of yoga:
- Builds Strength: Many yoga poses require you to bear your body weight in new and often challenging ways, including balancing on one leg or supporting yourself with your arms. Holding these poses over the course of several breaths helps build muscular strength and endurance. As a result of getting stronger, you can expect to see increased muscle tone. Yoga helps shape long, lean muscles in your legs, arms, back, and abdomen.
- Improves Balance: Improved balance is one of the most important benefits of yoga. And, it’s a benefit that can be important at any age. Athletes find it can make them more powerful and those who are active find that it can boost their workouts and level of fitness. Balance training improves posture and functionality to help you move more efficiently through everyday life. Good balance can also help prevent falls as you get older.
- Eases and Prevents Back Pain: Many people who have back pain spend a lot of time sitting at a computer or driving a car, which causes tightness throughout the body and spinal compression. Yoga counteracts these conditions, as studies show that regular yoga practice can help to ease common symptoms of back pain.
- Supports Joint Health: The movements necessary for yoga are low-impact, allowing you to use your joints without injuring them. Yoga helps strengthen the muscles around the joints, lessening their load. People with arthritis often see a marked improvement in their pain and mobility with regular gentle yoga practice.
- Improves Flexibility: The moving of your body and stretching you do in yoga will help you become more flexible, bringing a greater range of motion to tight areas. Over time, you can expect to gain flexibility in your hamstrings, back, shoulders, and hips.
- Fosters Mental Calmness: During yoga, concentrating on what your body is doing has the effect of bringing calmness to your mind. Yoga also introduces you to meditation techniques, such as how to focus on your breath and disengage from your thoughts.
- Teaches Better Breathing: Most of us take shallow breaths and don’t give much thought to how we breathe. Yoga breathing exercises focus our attention on breathing and teach us how to take deeper breaths, which benefits the entire body.
- Reduces Stress: Physical activity is good for relieving stress, and this is particularly true of yoga. Because of the concentration required, your daily troubles can seem to drift away during the time you are on the yoga mat. The emphasis yoga places on being in the present moment can also help as you learn not to dwell on past events or anticipate the future. You will leave a yoga class feeling less stressed than when you started since yoga reduces cortisol levels.
As you can see, yoga offers physical and mental health benefits for people of all ages. And, if you’re going through an illness, recovering from surgery or living with a chronic condition, yoga can become an integral part of your treatment and potentially hasten healing.
Relax and Rejuvenate with Yoga Classes at Beltway Medical Group
At Beltway Medical Group, we offer classes in our inviting yoga studio that are designed to enhance your physical, emotional, and mental health through a combination of movement, mindfulness, meditation, relaxation, and breathing exercises. We aim to promote relaxation, alleviate stress, and assist in managing underlying health conditions or symptoms, complementing the care you receive from your healthcare provider. Contact us to learn more about our yoga offerings and physical therapy, sound therapy, sports medicine, and other services we offer at Beltway Medical Group.