Prescription pain medications can help keep your suffering at bay but may not be the best solution. Opioids prevent pain signals from reaching the brain, enabling them to combat even the most severe pain. This may seem like a good thing for the short term, but there are much better ways to manage your pain. One of the reasons besides the danger of becoming dependent on pain killers, is that the more you use opioids, the more likely your body is to develop a tolerance against them. As a result, you need to keep taking more frequent and/or more potent doses to achieve the same degree of pain relief.
Instead of emptying your pockets on frequent drug refills that don’t even address the source of your discomfort, physical therapy can be a much more effective solution. An experienced physical therapist, such as those at Beltway Medical Group, can examine the reasons for your pain and devise a targeted, personalized pain management plan. Here are just a few of the ways physical therapy can replace all those bottles of pills:
- If you suffer from crippling arthritis pain, physical therapy exercises and massage therapy can help you control joint pain and stiffness.
- Severe neck or back pain can be managed through a combination of strength training, stretching exercises, and chiropractic adjustment.
- Chronic headache/migraine pain can be reduced through a combination of massage, cervical spinal adjustment, and lifestyle or dietary changes to help you avoid known headache or migraine triggers.
- Chronic muscle spasms respond well to certain therapies we offer.
- Chronic nerve pain can be controlled as well with therapies that ease neuropathy symptoms and promote nerve healing.
Ready to Ditch the Drugs in Favor of Physical Therapy?
If you’re going to invest time, effort, and money into feeling better, do it in a way that actually helps your body for safer long-term solutions. If your doctor agrees that physical therapy can help you reduce your dependance on pain killers, contact us to schedule an initial appointment and work out a pain management program!
Find Relief and Speed Up Your Healing with Beltway Medical Group
At Beltway Medical Group, we use a variety of manual therapies and teach you exercises you can do in our office and at home. You’ll want to get started as soon as possible to manage your pain. Our physical therapy practice is conveniently located in Fairfax, VA near Fair Oaks Mall. Contact us to learn more about the physical therapy services we offer and be on your way to pain-relief today!